Thursday, September 3, 2009

Back to School



As I prepare my two sons to go back to school, I’m always surprised at the melancholy feeling that the end of summer brings. Especially since my sons are now starting middle and high school, you would think that I’d be used to the back to school routine by now. But here I am at the last week of summer vacation, wishing again that the days were getting longer, not shorter, that we were eagerly anticipating our summer plans, not tucking them away in memory books, and hoping that my boys have the same fond reflections on this summer that I do. So, while I am excited to be shopping for new backpacks and school supplies, I can’t help wishing, if just for a moment, that we could somehow extend the warm glow of summer a little longer.


But the first day of a new school year is always exciting for a child. And as Head of School at WMS, I have the distinct advantage of sharing in all of your children's first day of school excitement. The many smiles, the boundless energy coming into school, and the warm hugs from students reminds me of just how lucky I am to have this September ritual to share with so many wonderful children.


I wish you all a wonderful start to another school year. We at WMS are excited and ready to welcome you and your children, and look forward to sharing this school year with you.