Summer is in full swing! Family vacations, summer camps, and Independence Day is just around the corner. This is a great opportunity to go through some excellent parenting tips to bring you and your children happily through the summer season.
Yvonne Nass is a certified parent educator and endeared member of our WMS community. Based upon establishing balance and respect in the household, Yvonne offers the following effective and encouraging guidance to parents:
Helpful tips on parenting:
* Creating a list of “house rules” with your children will help set boundaries.
* Get rid of the word “if”…it serves no purpose.
* Create a “boring jar” where kids can add little notes of things they like to do.
This will help fight boredom as the summer rolls on.
Yvonne also suggests that each family member share 5 things they enjoy doing in the summer and create a plan together (see Calendar of Events below).
Calendar of Events:
* Share the schedule of the day and problem solve what is needed.
* Ask for helpers to help in the preparation.
* Expect each child to be responsible for what they will need.
* Create a place for everything for easy pick-up in the morning and drop-off when they arrive home.
* Appreciate the contribution, no matter how small.
* Vocalize the rules and have them repeat the expectations.
* Share what will happen (i.e.: “When you forget…, I’ll know you’re not ready to…”)
* Follow the routine and be consistent with your follow through.
* Make mealtime a time for sharing good news & something to look forward to.
* Spend 10 – 20 minutes each day having fun with each child.
* Take time for yourself to re-energize.
* Relax and enjoy your summer!
A few parenting books Yvonne recommends for your summer reading:
Raising Self-Reliant Children in a Self Indulgent Worldby Jane Nelsen Ed.D
Parenting Young ChildrenRaising a Responsible ChildSystematic Training for Effective Parentingby Dr. Gary D. McKay and Dr. Don Dinkmeyer
How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will TalkSiblings Without Rivalryby Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
Please feel free to email Yvonne Nass at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit her website for helpful suggestions on effective parenting.
Smooth sailing and don't forget the sunscreen!